0333 344 7657 | 0207 199 9800

Mon-Fri (8 am to 7 pm) Sat | (9 am to 4 pm) | Sun (10 am to 3 pm)

How Can I Become a Construction Worker in The UK?

In the United Kingdom nothing can be done without the necessary documentation and qualifications. Relying on chance is not just stupid, but also costly: to get into a construction role without proper skills and completed courses, you will risk losing the money invested into a construction career and you will be forced to go back to square one.

A worker with adequate construction qualifications and skills can become successful in any construction sector. To start working, it is desirable to have a higher education (at least a bachelor’s degree), but you can get a position with a secondary education, having studied subjects such as physics, applied engineering, computer science, and construction.

Practical work experience and professional enthusiasm are also essential. Young specialists must have communication and business skills, be ready for teamwork, as well as the ability to effectively planday-today tasks.

Depending on the region, the average UK salary for a construction worker is about 2500 pounds per month, while experienced engineers can earn between 3000 – 4000 pounds and senior engineers can get up to 5000 a month.

Construction Workers in the UK Need To Upskill to Remain in Demand

The salary of British construction workers is highly dependent on the company they work for, their skills and experience. Construction workers can be involved in both project work in the office and directly on the site. They might can also take private business trips, liaise with clients and colleagues. In addition, qualified builders in the UK have excellent prospects for work in foreign companies and abroad. However, to be eligible for this, they must pass CITB tests and have valid CSCS cards?

Why are CSCS Cards and CITB Tests Important?

The first thing you will need to get for a construction site is a valid CSCS card. CSCS cards are imperative for you to get a construction in the UK, as it shows that you have knowledge of health and safety.

To obtain the card, you need to make sure you follow these 3 simple steps:

  • Attend and pass a recognised UK health and safety in construction qualification. The route you can take is by completing the CITB Health & Safety Awareness.
  • Pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test at your local test centre
  • Contact Construction Helpline on 020 7199 9800 or visit our website here to book in a CITB test

Depending on the kind of work you are doing, you may need to improve your knowledge of other skills such as bricklaying, plastering and window fitting. You may also be required to use various tools and machines so that you have full competency on site.


The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "I Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

I Accept   Privacy Policy

The cookie settings on this website are set to allow cookies... Read more    I Accept