Picture these scenarios:
• You can’t get on site because you don’t have a CSCS Card
• You can’t get the CSCS Card you need without on-the-job training: for which you need access to a construction site
Pretty ironic, right?
For tradesmen facing the above scenarios, there exists a Red CSCS Card that grants you access to construction sites while you complete your relevant construction qualifications.
There are two Red CSCS Cards available:
1. CSCS Red Trainee Card
2. CSCS Red Apprentice Card
Let’s look at these cards in more detail:
CSCS Red Trainee Card: This card is for those individuals who are studying in college/university. You’ll need to register for the relevant construction qualification and pass the right CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test to obtain the card.
The card is valid for 5 years and is non-renewable, which means you are required to complete your construction related qualification and move up to a higher level card such as Blue or Gold CSCS Card. Please note that SSSTS (Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme), SMSTS (Site Manager Safety Training Scheme) and NEBOSH (National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) General Certificates are no longer valid for this card.
CSCS Red Apprentice Card:
This card is ideal for tradesmen registered for a recognized apprenticeship framework. You need to pass either the CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test or any relevant health and safety training provided by the Apprenticeship Managing Agency in order to obtain this card.
The card is valid for 4 years and is non-renewable: so, make sure you complete your apprenticeship before that and move up to a standard CSCS card such as Blue or Gold CSCS Card.
Why is the Red CSCS Card so important to the construction industry?
– A valid Red CSCS Card will guarantee you access to construction sites
– The qualifications and test associated with this card will help you build a career within the construction industry
– This card is a good building block towards skilled CSCS Cards, from Blue Skilled CSCS Cards to even an Academically Qualified Persons Card